Name of the Client
The Council for Sustainable Development (SDC)
The SDC is established by the Chief Executive as one of the initiatives to promote sustainability in Hong Kong. The terms of reference of the SDC are Members of the Council are appointed by the Chief Executive and include people with experience and expertise in the environmental, social and business sectors, as well as senior government officials. The Council is a forum for exchanging views on key issues related to Hong Kong's long term sustainability.
The SDC was invited by the Government to conduct a public engagement process to gauge views on how best to implement municipal solid waste (MSW) charging in Hong Kong. In this connection, the SDC commissioned HKPC to act as the Programme Director in respect of the launch, conduct and coordinate the public engagement on MSW charging.
As the Programme Director of the public engagement process, HKPC undertook the following tasks :
- Assisted the SDC in overseeing the progress of work and communications among the different parties involved, and prepared committee papers to keep members informed;
- Developed an overall engagement strategy for the public engagement;
- Conducted focus group meetings with stakeholders, green groups, professionals and the general public to identify the issues concerning the implementation of MSW charging to be placed in the invitation for response (IR) document;
- Drafted and designed the IR document (in English and Chinese) which will form the basis of the engagement process;
- Assisted the SDC in conducting the public engagement process according to the overall engagement strategy;
- Drafted the SDC report (in English and Chinese) on the findings of the engagement process (the “SDC report”);
- Prepared draft questions and answers for use on various occasions, briefs for meetings and seminars, replies to media and public enquiries;
- Liaised with supporting organisations such as universities, professional bodies, etc. to help outreach to various sectors of the community;
- Organized over 60 public engagement events such as conducting stakeholders briefings at Legislative Council, District Councils, government advisory committees, trade associations, non-government organizations, professional bodies, etc.; organizing regional forums, roving exhibitions, etc.; and
- Presented at focus group meetings, regional forums and events hosted by the SDC.
Leveraging HKPC’s in-depth knowledge of waste management practices and policies, extensive connections with the recycling industry, green groups, professional bodies, etc., and comprehensive experience in conducting various engagement events with the environmental, commercial & industrial and other sectors, HKPC was able to attain the following major achievements during the implementation of this project:
- Conducted seven focus group meetings between April and May, 2013 with a total of 160 participants from a broad range of sectors;
- Developed the engagement model and roadmap for various engagement events;
- Drafted and designed the IR document (in English and Chinese), which formed the basis of the engagement process;
- During the public involvement stage, conducted a total of 63 engagement events (including five regional forums across the territory) within 4 months which attracted a total of around 3,300 members of the public and stakeholders;
- Assisted the SDC to solicit support from 101 organisations to join as Supporting Organisations (SOs) for this public engagement, which was the highest number of SOs compared to SDC’s previous public engagement processes;
- Organized roving exhibitions in all the 18 districts of Hong Kong and designated venues provided by some of the SOs to enhance community outreach which attracted approximately 50,000 visitor counts; and
- Drafted the SDC report (in English and Chinese) which contained the findings from the public engagement as well as the feasible and generally acceptable recommendations on implementing MSW charging in Hong Kong to the Government.