HKUST-HKPC Joint Research Lab for Industrial AI and Robotics
The HKUST-HKPC Joint Research Lab for Industrial AI and Robotics (“The Joint Lab”) was jointly established by the Hong Kong Productivity Council and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. Utilising the stakeholders’ complementary advantages in extensive proficiency and robust experience in the areas of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and robotics, the Joint Lab works towards developing innovative industrial technologies that can solve technical obstacles encountered by manufacturers, boosting the efficiency of Hong Kong's industries while cultivating the growth of talent in intelligent and innovative manufacturing, as well as industrial technology (I&T).
- Industrial AI: Creating innovative AI solutions that can simulate and analyse intricate production systems driven by big data, accelerating flexible scheduling and remote manufacturing, and enhancing the development of smart vision in factory environment, such as diagnosis of surface defects and geometric errors, as well as root cause analysis
- Robotics: Advancing grippers for the food industry, intelligent gadgets for scrutiny and cleaning of facilities, and autonomous systems for hardware and plastic industries
- Data Science: Utilising efficacious visual and human-computer interfaces for robotics agents and software systems to enhance human-in-the-loop decision making, data understandability and feedback control.
- Big Data: Utilising the Internet of Things (IoT), analysis power and stream data acquisition for smart manufacturing applications, contributing to advancing all-round sensors with edge-computing proficiency.
Major Research Projects:
- Small Defect Inspection
- Process Mining For Bottleneck Identification Root Cause Analysis
- Defect Inspection On Surfaces Of Reflective Freeform Objects
- Robot Task Learning Platform Through Virtual Human Demonstration
- Large Scale Agv Path Planning System
- Optimising the Next Best View Algorithm Based On Priori Object Anomaly Analysis